Monday, June 24, 2019

ISTE2019 - Day 1

This is absolutely my most favorite time -- ISTE! It is a time when I can be with my Tribe, those kindred spirits who speak my language, and relish in the most incredible sharing of ideas. It is also held in my hometown of Philadelphia - and I love going home. It is my nirvana.

First up today was a session on Merge Cubes. When I first saw these items about a year ago, I thought they were cool stress balls in a cube form.  They are so much more. Using an app, the cube transforms into a 3D virtual object spanning topics on solar systems, body systems, ecosystems, and even some games.  There is even an app (Merge Object Viewer) that allows you to inspect your very own 3D design files before printing them! They are definitely being added to my STEM toolkit this year!

Learn more about the Merge company here.

I took a little time before my next session to visit the Poster Sessions. This morning the theme was Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality (VR/AR) and it was exciting to see what educators are doing in their classrooms with it. I love the Poster Sessions at ISTE because it shows real world classroom applications for a lot of the things happening in EdTech.  (Some of the sessions have students showcasing their work!!)

The most exciting of the poster presenters was Kaitlyn Stenson, aka KinderNuggets, and her work with the littles using VR/AR, robots, and coding in her kinder classroom. She was so enthusiastic, and easily explained how she used the various tools -- a great display, too!

I followed this up with a session with one of my favorite EdTech leaders, Kasey Bell of Shake Up Learning. I love Kasey for her extensive resources in Google as well as her E-Books and new podcast with Matt Miller. She is generous and positive with her knowledge.

Today was about Learning Menus (Choice Boards). I love the idea of this resource and wanted to know more about implementing them in the classroom (as well as sharing with my colleagues).  I wasn't disappointed! You can see what they are all about here.

Monday will be about checking out the Expo Hall, Posters & a few more Sessions-- always a good time.
Til tomorrow...Safe Surfing!
Suzanne







No comments:

Post a Comment